Along with the Covid-19 pandemic putting the whole world on standstill, it has made it aware and mindful of our health. One of the most prominent daily changes in our lifestyle is the mask. We all must wear a mask to survive this pandemic. With this, a lot of us have started wondering which kind of mask is appropriate to beat the Coronavirus. And there have been a lot of conversations about what’s the right tool, and how one must get the best mask. The two most common names in this discussion are the N95 mask and the KN95 mask. Though KN95 and N95 masks are similar-sounding names, they are not the same scientifically. KN95 is a multi-layer face mask that usually has five layers. It is a respiratory mask, which is being widely used for the prevention of the Coronavirus Pandemic.
The N95 mask is also respirator face masks, but they are considered to be superior in quality than KN95. Here are some reasons why that’s the case. If you are wondering which one you should buy to be safe from the Covid-19, then you might want to take a look at this analysis.
Things to know about KN95:
- It is certified by the Chinese Government to be a filtering respirators suitable for the pandemic.
- This mask provides 95% protection against all particles greater 0.3 µm (diameter). These particles could be viruses, pollution particles, bacteria, smog, pollen, fine particles, dust, and so on.
- These masks provide five layers of protection, and they are said to be one of the best alternatives for preventing the spread of the pandemic.
- They are also skin-friendly, meaning they will not cause any irritation or rashes on your skin when you use it.
- They come in 3d foldable design that has ear loops and nose bridge. They are designed to seal the face perfectly without any fitting issues.
- These masks are also reusable. WHO advised them to be washed and reused.
- According to WHO these masks can be used by healthcare providers, common citizens as well as patients, to stay away from Covid-19.
Things to know about N95:
- N95 is a US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) certified respirator, and it is widely used in the US health care associations.
- This mask also filters more than 95% of air particles while greater 0.3 µm (diameter) and has the same standards as KN95.
- This mask is also reusable and washable. It is said to be soft enough as to not harm your skin and creates no ram to the wearer.
- It has an airtight seal fitting, and it has headbands and nose pieces to its structure.
- They are made from a fine mesh of nonwoven polypropylene fabric. These are synthetic polymer type fibers and are the perfect fibers for making respirator masks.
KN95 certifications of China are very similar to the N95 certification by the US. Most of their features and scientific standards are also the same. There are very few differences between the N95 mask and the KN95 mask.
Difference between N95 and KN95:
- Total Leakage Inward (TLI) was tested on humans, and each performance result shows that N95 has no leakage at all, whereas KN95 had leakage of less than or equal to 8%.
- N95 had an exhalation resistance of less than or equal to 245 pa and inhalation resistance of less than or equal to 343 pa. On the other hand, KN95 had an exhalation resistance of less than or equal to 250 pa and inhalation resistance of less than or equal to 350 pa.
- Both of them pass the breathability standards required for the pandemic, but N95 passes it by a slightly higher margin than KN95.
- They have minor differences so far, but N95 is slightly a better performer than KN95. The differences are not massive hence both are suitable for use for the prevention of the pandemic. And the lack of much difference is precisely why both these masks pass the international standards of certification.
According to the manufacturers, KN95 is the Chinese standard certification, and N95 is the US standard certification. And it is safe to call them equivalents for beating this pandemic. There are similar standard respirators available for Europe (FFP2), Japan (DS), Korea (KMOEL), and Australia (P2), which are also quite similar, apart from minor differences.
Both of these masks along with other options, with certified medical standards, are available near you to use each time you get out. Pandemic Pal sells a wide variety of respirator masks that fit the international standards. They are suitable for regular use by healthcare workers, patients, and citizens. The use of any of these masks is acceptable as long as you are using masks. What is not acceptable right now, around the world, is not using masks. That is something which is not advisable under any circumstances. You can choose any of WHO certified masks, as long as you are using one each time you interact with any individual. Even if you are interacting six feet apart, that is not an excuse to remove the mask. There is no circumstance under which you will be excused from wearing the mask. Do not forget that it is also equally important to wear it in the right way. Just hanging it around your neck, wearing it on your chin or under your nose is not helping anyone. Wear a mask regularly and be sensitive towards yourself as well as other’s health. You can find your suitable respirator on Pandemic pal. Pandemic Pal sells a wide variety of respirator masks, and you can be sure of the quality as well as the standardized license.